Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Spring Dance Concert features works by students and professional choreographers

Four Randolph College seniors spent much of their time this semester perfecting the spins, leaps and music selections for dances they have choreographed for the 2014 Spring Dance Concert.

Unlike the fall showcase, which features solely student work, the Spring Dance Concert is an opportunity for graduating seniors to show their choreography next to dances created by professionals.

“We have been preparing for this concert since the beginning of the fall semester,” said Lauren Boegert ’14. “It is both terrifying and exciting because our choreography goes up against professional work.”

This concert features pieces choreographed by professional choreographers such as Takehiro Ueyama, the director of Take Dance; Lori Belilove, director of the Isadora Dance Company; Walter Kennedy; and Randolph dance faculty in addition to the works choreographed by seniors majoring in dance.

Boergert created her piece, titled “Uninhibited,” to convey a sense of openness, vulnerability, and taking chances. “I struggle with openness and wanted to choreograph a piece about something difficult,” she said. “I thought it would be a good challenge.”

Beginning dancing when she was three, Boergert always favored ballet and did not have experience with modern dance. Her focus changed as she gained experience with modern dance at Randolph. “I like to think of myself as a modern dancer after my four years here. I don’t hide behind my technique as much,” said Boergert.

Senior dance major Chloe Tong said that she is most proud of being able to look at her choreography for the Spring Dance Concert and say, “I made that.” Her dance for the Spring Concert, “Everything Happens for a Reason”, focuses on how families act as one working unit.

Samantha Suzuki ’14, another senior earning her BFA in dance, choreographed the dance “M.A.D” for the Spring Dance Concert.

Suzuki’s piece is inspired by the poem “Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost. “I am most proud of the fact I was able to overcome my fears of choreography for male dancers,” she said. “In years past I have shied away from choreographing for male dancers because it felt very different and unnatural for me. The fact my first section movement looks strong and masculine and still has my aesthetic vibe to it makes me very proud.”

Angelina Carilli ’14 choreographed the dance “An Affected Mind” for the concert. The dance depicts the way drugs affect people’s minds.

The Spring Dance Concert will feature a total of 12 dances, individually crafted by 11 different choreographers.

The Spring Dance Concert will be held at 8 p.m. Thursday–Friday in Smith Hall Theater. General admission is $8, student admission is $4 and children 12 and under can attend for free.