Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dean of students starts new program to connect with students

Students now have a new place to share feedback about life at Randolph—over lunch with the dean of students.

Every other Wednesday, Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Matha Thornton will hold an open lunch in the President’s Dining Room, located on the first floor of Bell Hall directly off the dining hall, from noon to 1 p.m. She welcomes students to come and dine with her.

“I want students to be able to see me when they need to talk,” Thornton said. “This will not be the only time, but just one they can count on.”

Thornton recognized that she could have held “office hours,” but she wanted to make it easier for students in order to encourage them to start a dialogue with her. The bi-weekly lunches will a guaranteed outlet in which to air their concerns on a regular basis.

In addition to concerns and input on campus life, Thornton also is interested in hearing about students’ daily lives and finding out more about the experience they are having at Randolph.

“I hope that this program shows that we have an open community where we can work through issues together,” said Thornton, “I mean it sincerely when I say that I want students to share their experiences with me, good and bad.”